List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KFileMetaInfo question
From:       Wolfgang =?iso-8859-1?q?M=FCller?= <muellerw () free ! fr>
Date:       2002-01-31 9:05:42

Hi,
Cool stuff.

> Currently, Konqueror will show tooltips in the iconview with the
> information from the plugins. The listview is going to make use of it
> somewhen and Rolf is also working on a page for the Properties dialog.

It would be very easy to write something in SQL that searches for your
attribute/value pairs.

> > If I understand this correctly you are supposed to get additional
> > information on a file using plugins. But where does the user find them?
>
> All this is still work in progress (mostly by Rolf at the moment), sorry
> that there is no tutorial on that yet.

I just wanted to ask, do you plan to store some parallel file tree of meta
infos in ./kde or in a database? I think with that you would get around the
fact that you are not allways able to store some attributes within the file.
If you're interested, I could contribute at a table structure and some SQL
which you could wrap into a bit of QT?

The second advantage of a DB structure is that, once you have the database,
you're basically there for any kind of fast search applications based on the
meta data.

Setting up some mysql is quite easy, and it's also easy to configure such
that it can coexsist with an exsisting and running mysql installation, so you
just have to tell some kde applications to look for their unix sockets at new
places.

Wolfgang