List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: .kde or .kde2?
From:       Bryce Nesbitt <bryce () obviously ! com>
Date:       2002-01-29 0:48:02

Strange, this has never been an issue and I keep multiple .kde directories.
See:
	http://www.kde.org/kde2-and-kde3.html
	http://developer.kde.org/documentation/other/kde-config.html
For how to set it properly, and check it.

		-Bryce

PS: My issues with .kde are different.  Stuff is stored there that should not be.
More personal stuff, like konqueror bookmarks, ought to be stored elsewhere.

And occasionally I must blow away the .kde directory.  Bugs in kde2 meant sometimes
I could not start kde until I cleaned out .kde.  Usually changing prefs to use
Hebrew did this.

"Schmidt, John" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When running the distro KDE 2.2.1 on SuSE 7.3, a ".kde" AND a ".kde2" dir
> gets
> created in $HOME.  It appears the folks at SuSE have modified startkde to
> test for KDEHOME and if not set, set it to $HOME/.kde2.  This is all fine
> and
> dandy, except a $HOME/.kde gets created by various KDE apps at first login.
> So now there are KDE required files scattered between 2 dirs.
>
> I did find some notes in at least 3 ChangeLog regarding a problem with
> ".kde2";
> koncd, kdevelop, and kfontinst.  I don't know about the rest of you, but
> this is
> confusing.  If there are requirements for certain apps to have new kde
> config
> files that are incompatible with older versions that may be laying around,
> those
> apps should create some new dirs below .kde in order to have a common KDE
> dir.... just my opinion.  I've been away (off the list) for a while so
> perhaps I
> missed a/the reason for this.
>
> regards,
> John Schmidt
> ServerVantage Development
> Compuware Corporation
> john.schmidt@compuware.com
> http://www.compuware.com/products/vantage

Hi! I'm a do-it-yourself virus... please delete 4 files at random
from your hard drive.  Pass me on to all your friends.