List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RTTI / dynamic casts in KDE?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-01-28 22:49:37

On Monday 28 January 2002 22:47, Manuel Arriaga wrote:
> I don't know what this means, but I suppose that if no rtti option is passed
> to GCC then RTTI will be used. (Just guessing :-) )

Right, rtti is on by default.

> But I would be interested in knowing more about what Waldo mentioned: that
> "rtti is not reliable in combination with dynamically loaded code". Does
this
> mean that using RTTI inside a shared library isn't a good idea (as it seems
> to happen with kdelibs??)?
No problem with shared libraries that apps link to.

> Or that RTTI shouldn't be used in programs which
> link against shared libraries at runtime? Or both?

Problem is when dlopening a module, and using rtti on the objects defined
inside that module. See discussion with the gcc developers, about RTDL_GLOBAL
etc.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david, http://www.konqueror.org
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops