List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: 3.0 RELEASE: Heading RC1
From:       Bryce Nesbitt <bryce () obviously ! com>
Date:       2002-01-27 17:03:30

Adriaan de Groot wrote:

> On Saturday 19 January 2002 20:53, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> > The talkback agent would need to extract from each crashed application:
> >       name
> >       backtrace
> >       relative PC
> >       true version number (so symbol table lookup works, even from non-debug
> > builds)
> >	  thread status
>
> Something I've been doing since forever is putting
>
> static const char *filename_id = "$Id:";
>
> in all my source files for the express purpose of asking bugreporters the
> output of "ident". That gives me a much better idea of which version of the
> app is crashing that any version numbers system ever did. That's a
> tried-and-true magic-cookies approach, but it does take some work on the part
> of an apps author.

I do that also.

And it's a simple enough change that it could be made globally for modules
in kde cvs.  Then, modify the kde makefiles to insist it's there.

The only real problem is compile flags.  You'll know what source files the
bug reporter is using, but not what compiler or flags were used.  My true goal
is to do a symbol table lookup.

		---

Again, the overall goal is a "talkback agent" that sends anonymous crash reports back
to kde.org, for statistical anaysis.

In the face of increasing kde complexity, steps are needed to understand where
to focus debugging effort.

			-Bryce