List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE speed issues
From:       <ralsina () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-21 17:31:17

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Monday 21 January 2002 07:06 am, Derek Fountain wrote:
> > > ideas? anybody? any enthusiasm for this? oh, and one more question --
> > > ideas as to what could be done for office apps? has anybody does a
> > > static compile of koffice to see whether and how well it works and
> > > how much juice it requires?
> >
> > Attacking the issue from the opposite side, what would need to be done to
> > KDE-3.x in order to cut down on its functionality and therefore
> > requirements?
> >
> > If it were possible to remove (via e.g. conditional compilation in the
> > libraries) virtually all the eye candy, all the over-configuration
> > "features", and all the stuff which really isn't required to run a basic
> > desktop, then at least people would have an up to date option for those low
> > end boxes.
>
> Souns like a more viable option. One thing that comes to mind are a bunch of
> dialog boxes that comes with Qt (E.g. the file-dailog). You might want to try
> to remove those from compilation. I have no idea though whether the removal
> of such unused code would do anything for memory usage. The theory says that
> unused code doesn't get paged in....

But it probably gets relocated?

One thing could be removing all network access, and just mock the ioslaves
through a dummy local-files-only thingie.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@kde.org
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   KDE Developer (MFCH)
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Abeja obrera en Xtech (www.xtech.com.ar)
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis. (Carlton, De rerum comoedia)