List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Projection support for Konqueror
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-01-20 16:06:04

On Friday 18 January 2002 22:30, Andrew Kuchling wrote:
> I've grown fond of Opera's OperaShow feature
> (http://www.opera.com/support/operashow/) for presentations.  Despite
> the name, it's nothing proprietary to Opera, but just uses CSS.  When
> Opera goes into full screen mode, it uses the '@media projection'
> sections of the CSS stylesheet.  Konqueror doesn't seem to support
> @media projection in full-screen mode, at least in the current CVS
> HEAD.  (Am I right in saying that?)
>
> Implementing it will require two things, one hard, one simple (I
> think):
>
> 1) Add page-break support to khtml's render.  I don't know how to do
> that yet, but will be exploring it.
>
> 2) is much easier.
>
> khtml needs a method to either be told when it's in fullscreen mode,
> or it needs a method to set the media type
> (screen/presentation/whatever).  Since khtml's print() sets the media
> type to 'print' internally, I assume fullscreen mode should do
> something similar, meaning that the first solution should be used.
>
> I'm not familiar enough with the KDE team's design style or with the
> KDE architecture to figure out how to do this.  I think that a
> .setFullscreen(bool) method should be added to
> kparts/browserextension.h, and the khtml KPart would then check its
> value, and set the media type to 'screen' or 'projection' accordingly.
> Konqueror would then have to call this method when displaying HTML.
> (I don't think the fullscreen argument to WindowArgs helps here,
> because that seems to be only used at window creation time.)
>
> Would that be the right way to go about this?

I don't really know all those KHTML internals, so I'm CC-ing the KFM
development list, but it sounds like the way to go to me. When I added the
media support to KHTML I tried to make it as generic as possible and not
specifically tied to print and screen, so I hope it is possible to implement
this dia show mode in KHTML as well :-)

If some of the KHTML gurus could comment on this...

Martijn