List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror(browser) font selection in 2.2.2
From:       Eugene Onischenko <oneugene () alphadiz ! com>
Date:       2002-01-09 15:50:29

09 Jan 2002 20:49, vda@port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua wrote:
> I'm trying to set up Linux desktop usable by 'mere humans', not only
> computer addicts like me :-). I hope to switch our office to Linux
> completely as soon as it will seem feasible.
>
> So far KDE 2.2.2 very good. It even speaks Russian nicely. Thank you all
> for excellent job!
>
> I have some usability observations. I'll reduce this post to one isolated
> case. I have Konqueror window with http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc.html
> opened in it. It is a simple page. It shows headers in enlarged font and
> it's ugly (it looks like scaled bitmap fonts).
>
> I have ttf fonts installed, so I want to tell konq to use that. Going to
> setup, selecting Konq-WWW browser on thew left, Appearance tab. I see:
> two font size sliders, encoding listbox ("iso8859-1"), six lisboxes with
> font names (all with "misc-fixed"), font size input field (0), default
> encoding listbox ("use default for language")
> [I use russian, so english back-xlate above may be a bit inaccurate :-)]
>
> I have these questions:
>
> * why it's so wide, it barely fits my 1024 pixel wide screen (I have
>   800x600 at home, it looks worse there)
>
> * I don't understand whether I need to pick right encoding first to
>   affect GCC page font selection or it is automatically selected for me
>   when I get to this dialog. It is really working this way for GCC page,
>   but let's take http://www.rada.kiev.ua/laws/pravo/all/zak1.htm
>   for example: I set all six font name list boxes to times new roman and
>   page still shows some text in misc-fixed.

I you want to change fonts for http://www.rada.kiev.ua/laws/pravo/all/zak1.htm,
choose microsoft-cp1251 in "encoding listbox" and set font names again.
You should set the font names for each encoding you are using (at least change
fonts for iso-8859-1, koi8-u, koi8-r, microsoft-cp1251).

> * I can't get konqueror to show Ukrainian letters on second page
>   (Russian are ok, ukrainian ones show up as '?').
>   It may be related to previous problem with font selection (misc-fixed
> does not have reqd chars?). Page is in windoze cp1251, switching
> View->Encoding to something else ruins it). I thought I should pick cp1251
> in encoding listbox first, but there is no such option...

Look for microsoft-cp1251 .

--
Best regards,
person: 		Eugene Onischenko