List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Konqueror(browser) font selection in 2.2.2
From:       "vda () port ! imtp ! ilyichevsk ! odessa ! ua" <vda () port ! imtp ! ilyichevsk ! odessa ! ua>
Date:       2002-01-09 14:51:02

I'm trying to set up Linux desktop usable by 'mere humans', not only computer
addicts like me :-). I hope to switch our office to Linux completely as soon
as it will seem feasible.

So far KDE 2.2.2 very good. It even speaks Russian nicely. Thank you all for
excellent job!

I have some usability observations. I'll reduce this post to one isolated
case. I have Konqueror window with http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc.html
opened in it. It is a simple page. It shows headers in enlarged font and it's
ugly (it looks like scaled bitmap fonts).

I have ttf fonts installed, so I want to tell konq to use that. Going to
setup, selecting Konq-WWW browser on thew left, Appearance tab. I see:
two font size sliders, encoding listbox ("iso8859-1"), six lisboxes with font
names (all with "misc-fixed"), font size input field (0), default encoding
listbox ("use default for language")
[I use russian, so english back-xlate above may be a bit inaccurate :-)]

I have these questions:

* why it's so wide, it barely fits my 1024 pixel wide screen (I have
  800x600 at home, it looks worse there)

* I don't understand whether I need to pick right encoding first to
  affect GCC page font selection or it is automatically selected for me
  when I get to this dialog. It is really working this way for GCC page,
  but let's take http://www.rada.kiev.ua/laws/pravo/all/zak1.htm
  for example: I set all six font name list boxes to times new roman and
  page still shows some text in misc-fixed.

* I can't get konqueror to show Ukrainian letters on second page
  (Russian are ok, ukrainian ones show up as '?').
  It may be related to previous problem with font selection (misc-fixed does
  not have reqd chars?). Page is in windoze cp1251, switching View->Encoding
  to something else ruins it). I thought I should pick cp1251 in encoding
  listbox first, but there is no such option...

You see, it is all somewhat confusing for a user...
--
vda