List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Ad-block in Konqueror
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2002-01-05 5:00:35

On Friday January 04, 2002 05:51, Marc Paradise wrote:
> On Friday 04 January 2002 20:21, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > One thing I'm sure of, though, is that this shouldn't be narrowly
> > focused to just blocking ad images.  A generic filtering feature can
> > be useful for, say, filtering out junk that people don't want to have
> > to see, or don't want their children to have to see.
>
> Certainly it can be used for the former - the image blocking could be
> applied to _any_ image source.

Not just images.  Whole documents, html.  Also, even ads are sometimes
html, in IFRAMEs or whatnot.  junkbuster blocks more generally, and
catches those frames nicely.

> In the case of the latter, I'm  not sure how that works.  In order to be
> useful, the user would need to be able to _unblock_, as well, in case
> they clicked the wrong image, etc.  It seems that the savvy kid could do
> that as easily as the parent can block it.

Well, I think KConfig now has imperative setting capability that could be
used for global locks.

I didn't mean restrictive filtering though.  I mean situations where the
user doesn't want to see certain things.  A child can be pretty disturbed
by something seen accidentally, even when browsing with a parent.

--
Neil Stevens
neil@qualityassistant.com

Don't think of a bug as a problem.  Think of it as a call to action.