List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Playing the KDE CVS roulette
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-12-26 14:58:11

On Wednesday 26 December 2001 15:37, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> I was not aware of BIC day, I'be been trying on no particular day.
>
> Where is BIC day documented?

On the lists, mostly kde-core-devel.

> Could Wednesday become "your best chance at a stable CVS update day"?

Do you volunteer for compiling the CVS each Tuesday night and fixing
all problems ?

> Could BIC day be specified in UTC?

Yes, in practice it's from Friday 00:00 in the earliest timezone where it's Friday,
to Friday 23:59 in the latest timezone where it's Friday. So it's a 24 hours
long Friday ;-)

> > multi-file checkins are atomic in cvs, but unfortunately only if the files are
> > all in the same directory. And then, people also sometimes tend to forget
> > some of the files and so do more than one commit.
>
> Exactly.  I always seem to catch someone in the middle.

I strongly doubt that.
If that was the case, you'd get the complete change if you updated
5 minutes later - and it's very seldom that someone else started
committing during that short period of time. When someone forgets
to commit something (or commits something by mistake, hi dirk ;),
then compilation can be broken for much longer, and this has nothing
to do with CVS technicalities, it's basic human mistake, for which there
is no other fix than manual fixing.

http://www.kde.org/people/david.html (my real webpage is down)
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops