List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Site Maintenance
From:       Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-12-14 22:10:40

On Friday 14 December 2001 18:47, John Rizzo wrote:
> On Friday 14 December 2001 15:46, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > On Fre, 14 Dez 2001, John Rizzo wrote:
> > > Ok so one step at a time right.  I believe that I can accomplish much
> > > of this using zope as the content management system.  I would like to
> > > take the current incarnation of the site and duplicate it using zope.
> > > I would use all the usefull utilities such as templates, caching, etc
> > > that are available through zope.  Much of the dynamic sections of the
> > > site that use php can still be leveraged since integrating php with
> > > zope is trivial.  Once this proof of concept is available and
> > > consistant with the existing site I can make it available to other
> > > people that are interested in helping with the site and see what they
> > > think.  Any appropriate changes could be made.  Then when its ready
> > > would could implement it as kde.org.
> >
> > How do you want to implement revision control by using Zope ?
>
> There is a standard module that allows you to create a version of the
> site. Any changes made in this version are not visible to anyone working
> outside the version until the version is committed.

Forgive me if I am wrong but to me this seems to mean a basic change of the
modus operandi:

-> At the moment the webpage is maintained in a way so anybody can see what
   is happening, in theory anybody who has commit rights can change/add
   things and each single step can be looked at and could be un-done via cvs.

-> The result of using Zope (if I understand this correctly) would mean
   having the main process done by one single person and it would mean
   less ways to see little changes: only the big steps from one version
   of the webpage to the next one would be visible and could easily be
   un-done.

Please correct me if I am wrong (don't know much about Zope) but if that
would be the result I am not sure if it would fit good into the way how
KDE is developed at the moment: each single change can be seen in lists
like kde-devel and each little step can be looked at by calling a simple
cvs diff -r... -r...

Is Zope really open and clear enough?

Or is it better to stay at the (not absolutely perfect) way how things
are done at the moment?

You told us:

   "I would like to take an active roal in maintaining the site."

While participating/helping/putting time on it is surely a good thing
this sentence sounds to me a little bit like:

   "I would like to be the one controlling the site."

Ok, I know that my words are not very nice but I prefer being honest to
saying nothing and only thinking that I don't like this plan, so again:
forgive me if I am talking nonsense here!  :)

Cheers,

Karl-Heinz