List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: OFFTOPIC: KMail, Evolution, ximian-connector
From:       <ralsina () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-12-05 21:14:01

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Manuel Amador wrote:

> > Tell him, if he doesn\'t want to pay the $140,000 for the evolution
> > connector licences, he should grab a KOrganizer developer, fund him a
> > nice dual athlon and contract him to write a GPL one. That should max
> > out at approx. two or three thousand $$ (incl. hw) and would benefit
> > both him and KDE as a whole.
> >
> > Marc
> Even better, why don\'t you try to convince Exchange users that they should
> migrate to an open alternative and push the alternative yourself?
>
> On the other hand, I disagree with writing a GPL replacement for a product that
> is a Ximian breadwinner.  I\'d like to see Ximian excel (nono, not the
> spreadsheet), and if I find an exchange platform around, I\'ll be pushing their
> connector to those hapless exchange users as the first step for platform
> migration.

Their connector doesn't make sense as a solution for many users, simply
because it seems to be almost as expensive as the windows solution.

If linux is not cheaper, it usually doesn't get used.

OTOH, on Exchange 2000, the connector doesn't seem to be necessary, since
it supports webdav.

So, I'd say a reasonable thing is to write support webdav support for kde
in general, and implement a exchange connector as an addon.

I really doubt Ximian is going to win much bread with this, really.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@kde.org
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   KDE Developer (MFCH)
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Abeja obrera en Xtech (www.xtech.com.ar)
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis. (Carlton, De rerum comoedia)