List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-freebsd] Re: objprelink patch for freebsd
From:       Bradley T Hughes <bhughes () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-12-05 8:14:09

On Wednesday 05 December 2001 08:25, Andy Fawcett wrote:
> At 08:02 5.12.2001 +0100, Bradley T Hughes wrote:
> >On Wednesday 05 December 2001 07:43, Andy Fawcett wrote:
> > > The original objprelink was doing pretty much nothing on FreeBSD,
> > > for precisely the reasons Bradley updated it.
>
> [snip]
>
> > > But since objprelink most likely wouldn't have found any references
> > > with the linux-style prefix, I think it was pretty safe.
> >
> >Actually, it's not a linux-specific prefix.
>
> Bad choice of words on my part. I meant "the style used by linux, and
> used in the original objprelink" :)

;)

> >It has to do with how the vtables are generated.  gcc uses
> > vtable-thunks on linux by default (the __vt_ prefix), yet on freebsd
> > we use the "normal", which is the _vt prefix.
>
> But because of the different prefix used, on 'standard' (ahem) FreeBSD
> systems (without modified compilers etc), the original program should
> have had little or no effect, either way?

Without the patch I sent, objprelink did absoltely nothing.  I noticed
this because I was doing objprelink -v, and it was saying stuff like
"found 0 sections to fix" and then exited.

> >If and when freebsd moves over to using vtable-thunks (a much nicer way
> > of doing vtables too, since you aren't restricted in vtable size as
> > with the normal method), then the patch needs to be reverted...
>
> I guess that it should be possible to build some compile-time checks in
> there to see which 'flavour' of prefix to use.

I don't know of a way to add compile time checks, other than just adding a
hack for every system type.  It would be neat if we could figure out the
symbol prefix, but doing that at compile time is impossible (as far as i
know).

> Andy

Bradley T. Hughes <bhughes@trolltech.com>
Trolltech AS - Waldemar Thranes gt. 98 N-0175 Oslo, Norway
Office: +47 21604892
Mobile: +47 92019781