List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Time tracking applet prototype.
From:       Sean Pecor <sean () digitalspinner ! com>
Date:       2001-11-30 16:52:57

Hey folks,

I've started work on a prototype applet I've tentatively labled "Kime", which
so far does the following:

1. Maintains a timer for each window (active and historical).

2. Active window's timer runs until another window receives focus; the old
active window's elapsed time is added to a historical total for that window.

3. Retires a timer for a given window when that window's title changes (i.e.,
from "Google.com" to "Someotherwebsite.com"), then registers a new timer for
the window's id.

4. Kicker panel contents shows the title of the current window, plus the
total elapsed time (current elapsed plus historical elapsed time). For
example, right now I see 3.4 minutes for "Time tracking applet prototype" in
the applet panel.

5. Status button brings up a master list of all windows (active and
historical) with the time spent in each.

Along with general bells and whistles, my specific goals for the applet are
the following:

1. Keep track of all tasks (windows) for the day. Note how much time is spent
in each window (by monitoring window focus, other factors).

2. Support the assignment of each task to a registered activity (examples:
"System Administration", "Entertainment", "XYZ Company Web Site", "ABC, Inc.
Intranet", "General Programming", etc.).

3. Through default and user defined filters I'd like assignments to be
semi-automatically made. So, for example, a user could create a filter that
would assign any window caption that contained "/mnt/sites/abcintranet.com"
to a default assignment of the activity "ABC, Inc. Intranet". Something
comparable to Kmail's filter system although somewhat less complex.

OR:

3. In a time assignment dialog, each entry could be weighed against previous
assignments. A list of possible assignments would appear, ordered by how
closely the current caption matches previous captions. So, if I made a
previous assignment of "ABC, Inc. Intranet" to a caption
containing"/mnt/sites/abcintranet", then that might be the default assignment
for a new time assignment entry with the caption
"/mnt/sites/abcintranet/file.html". Perhaps this feature in combination with
the first (3) would be the best thing.

4. Provide a time reporting function that can export to CSV, submit to a
Mysql database, etc., the time entries for a given time period.

Possible uses:

1. For me, a better way to track my time throughout the day. Also interesting
to find out how much of my day/week/month is spent programming, designing,
emailing, etc. I'd like it to feed into my existing project management app.

2. Usability testing. Find out how much time is spent in setup, toolbars,
text windows, etc.

3. Productivity enhancement. Maybe if you see a report indicating you've
spent 10% of your work week goofing off at Entertainment sites, it can serve
as a wake up call :).

Once I put more time into the prototype, draft a spec sheet, I'll post it at
Sourceforge. Is anyone else interested in this type of project? I'm a first
time KDE developer, so I'd love some guidance, someone to point out / correct
bad programming mistakes :).

Sean.

--
Digital Spinner, Inc.
Cutting edge web design and applications development.