List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Suspending DCOP reception in KUniqueApplication program
From:       David Jarvie <lists () astrojar ! org ! uk>
Date:       2001-11-26 8:40:24

I have a KDE2 KUniqueApplication program which is liable to be sent DCOP
messages during its initialisation. However, it cannot handle DCOP requests
until its initialisation is complete. How can I prevent the sending task from
sending requests until the receiver is ready?

I have tried the following methods, none of which work. In all cases, the
sender calls kapp->dcopClient()->isRegistered() first to check that the
receiver is running.

1) Create the DCOP receiver object only when initialisation has completed.
This results in DCOP requests sent before this being lost completely, without
any error indication being returned by the sender's
kapp->dcopClient()->send() call.

2) Create the DCOP receiver object only when initialisation has completed,
and have the sender call kapp->dcopClient()->findObject() with a null remFun
(remote function) parameter to determine whether the receiving program is yet
ready to receive. This results in the sender hanging forever in the
findObject() call.

3) Insert a kapp->dcopClient()->suspend() call at the start of the receiver
program's initialisation, and kapp->dcopClient()->resume() when
initialisation is complete. This results in the receiver program hanging
forever (perhaps because it is a KUniqueApplication??).

--
David Jarvie