List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: JavaScript support in Konqueror.
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () easystreet ! com>
Date:       2001-11-15 12:01:13

On Wednesday 14 November 2001 07:56 pm, Anthony Moulen wrote:
> I was able to get in with Konqueror just by changing (and saving) Netscape
> as my agent string.  It seems to be that the size around images in
> Konqueror is different than in other browsers as it often seems to wrap
> while other browsers don't.  Also it seems that the locations are a little
> off for this site.

There's a lot going on here. FYI NS or IE will both produce different margins
in the browser window between Mac and PC. Welcome to the web, it's
notorious... which is why I appreciate the konqueror team so much.

In this case I have not fished out every piece of javascript but it certainly
does not appear to render correctly. I'm 99.9% sure that is because of them
going to extremes to compensate for browser incompatibilities and it would
most likely not be a problem if they would accept Konqi at face value.

> And just like the person mentioning this problem, I can not get the menus
> to work.

Initially I was going to say they worked becuase in fact they did drop down
and hilight. However I noted they do not provide links. After looking at the
code it appears they place a transparent gif "shim" over the table data at
118x25 pixels. This would in theory make the whole thing appear as a link
however since text wraps even in NS it's a bogus idea. Better would be to
generate images with gd and replace the text string entirely.

Since I did not get it to drop down menus locally with any browser I was not
able to confirm the "shim" image was overlying as expected. (It would take
some time to fully debug the design of this code and I doubt I could bill
Hilton for it) The problem is that the NS compatibility is non standard not
the best way to do it. If the site were to allow me in as a DOM enabled
browser or IE of some flavor things might actually work as is.

You could probably report this as a bug and someone more knowlegable than I
could resolve it... but it looks to me like Hilton started out to accept more
browsers and then just locked it down to two.

The bug (or perhaps feature request to deal with site design glitches) BTW is
likely how Konq handles absolute positioning in relation to table data in NS
layers (with no Z reference).

Cheers
--
Eric Laffoon                    sequitur@kde.org
A member of the Quanta+ Web development team