List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kfontdialog and fixed width fonts
From:       Roland Krause <rokrau () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-11-15 5:28:52

I noticed, that the only fixed font I have available in KDE-3 is the
default "fixed". Investigation brought me to what is described as a
hack in KFontChooser::getFontList(). This hack oviously doesnt work any
longer since the "whole font thing" in Qt3 seems to have changed quite
a bit.

I'd be willing to try and fix this and send a patch if someone can
explain this to me a bit clearer.

Qfont seems to have changed so that one can set any font to be of fixed
width? This seems very strange but it is what I read from the qt
documentation. That would mean that all fonts should be available (in
theory) for e.g. konsole and that after selection the font can be set
to fixed. Obviously filtering out fonts doesnt make sense in that case.

It's quite likely that I misunderstand this mess of choosing fonts by
"guess and hope it's there" principle and I'd appreciate some
enlightenment.

Roland
PS: upon circumventing the fixed width hack, I am able to choose
different fonts (courier and courier new) but they all look exactly
like the fixed width font.