List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: JavaScript support in Konqueror.
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () easystreet ! com>
Date:       2001-11-14 19:15:34

On Wednesday 14 November 2001 07:00 am, Janis Gailis wrote:
> I am using Konq 2.2.1 on RedHat 7.1,
> with KDE2.2.1/Qt2.3.1 and, for example,
> at www.hilton.com the DHTML menus are
> not responding on the mouse clicks.
> The reason can be that JS support is not
> fully provided in Konqueror.

But then again you can positively determine what is going on. I'm running KDE
2.2.2 from CVS and I tried the site and even changing the browser
identification string it would flat out not let me in. I suspect you cannot
view the site with Opera either. I'd say the problem here is a web master
that is either lazy or arrogant.

FYI you can view the source for any page and see the Javascript (unless it is
run server side). While viewing it you can look to see if they do explicit
detection of a particular browser. They may also see if the browser
understands DOM or they could test for other things. What I'm finding is that
many scripts that previously ran only on IE and NS now work great on Konq.
Konqi also speaks DOM so generally it should not be a problem.

This site however seems to be doing a bit more and keeping some server side.
I know for a fact that my system has all the specified requirements to browse
that they say they specify on the page that rejects me. I also tried telling
them I was running NS 4.76 and IE 5.5 on W2K but even after deleting the
session cookie and starting fresh it still kicked me to the curb.

This leads me to believe they are doing some more extensive browser testing.
I could not easily get to all thier Javascript so pulling the source from NS
and and running it in konqi left lots of scripts to pick up and also a jhtml
file that kicks me to the curb.

While a lot has been done to support Ecma script (the European standards
approved version of Javascript) you should keep in mind that webmasters can
make decisions that can lock out any browser either by ignorance or intent.

If someone wanted to play with the site for a while they could (probably)
ascertain why it is not working and whether in fact it is a deficiency in
konqi's scrpt handling ability or a design decision of the webmaster. For now
it looks to me like it is probably the later.
--
Eric Laffoon                    sequitur@kde.org
A member of the Quanta+ Web development team