List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE & ACLs
From:       "Manuel Amador \(Rudd-O\)" <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2001-11-14 16:45:22

This is exactly what I have been looking for.

For now, my small installations don't need ACLs, but for big customers
(with big pockets) I really need ACLs.  Kludging around with standard
UNIX permissions and umasks does not suffice.  Does anyone know if GNU
tar support the ACL extensions?  Does also anyone know if (at least
Linux from) any UNIX supports inheriting ACLs in directories (i.e. I set
a 'bit' on a directory, and all created files into that directory get
the same standard UNIX permissions and ACLs of the directory - minus the
execution bits naturally).  This has also come to Windows XP and it's
very needed in our world.  Merely chmod g+s and umask 007 is not okay if
you are using ACLs to grant a group read permission to all files in a
directory.

Please 'reply to all'.  Thanks

For now try to begin the transition with StarOffice for windows.  Once
they get used to it, the introduction of KDE into their desktops (and
brains) will be extremely easy.  My clients are very happy (and amazed)
with KDE.  Especially the fact that they get to use their old 486s as
terminals.  Computers in my country are expensive (or is it that people
here are poor?).

Thanks again.