List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Yet another contribution to encourage KDE developing volunteers.
From:       Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-11-12 8:50:18

[this isn't an official announcement but just
 something I would like you to know and be happy about :)]

Hi,

this morning I received a mail of german editor Markt&Technik (part of
Pearson Education) telling me something electrifying:

     "Zu Deiner Frage nach dem "KDE 2 Programmierung"-Buch habe
      ich gute Neuigkeiten:
      Inzwischen sind die HTML- und PDF-Dateien fertig. Die Daten
      sollten in nicht allzu langer Zeit bei andamooka.org und
      developer.kde.org online stehen."

translation:

     "You asked for the translated "KDE 2 development" book and
      I have good news:
      The HTML and PDF files have been finished now.  Data should
      be availiable online at andamooka.org and developer.kde.org
      soon."

So, german audience, please fasten your seat-belts, since this means:

      German language translation of "KDE 2 Programming"
      is going to be available online quite soon!

<bg>

By enabeling free download of the complete book the editor is giving
the KDE community another chance to attract new volunteers and also
improve hacking skills of those not having reached wizard level (yet).  ;-)

No need to say much about the famous Andamooka book, probably most of
you have heard about this team work of many skilled KDE developers, so
let me just mention one fact that might be interesting now:

    The german book is even better as the english edition!

The fine thing is that the german edition of the Andamooka book isn't
just a translation but it has been carefully edited to make it consistent
with KDE changes that took place since publishing the english edition,
this applies e.g. to usage of KMainWindow instead of old KTMainWindow and
usage of setCentralWidget( ... ) instead of setView( ... ) and so on.

Also both the source comments within the listings and the screenshots
have been localized to ease learning for german readers.  Since this
'localization' actually meant translate and compile/build the respective
demo programs this also lead to removal of some bugs that somehow had
managed to survive in the english version.

In summing up, the resulting german language translation of the Andamooka
book is actually better than the original book. (And it looks better.<g>)

Ok, being one of the technical editors I am not absolutely unbiased but
I'd not informed you about this book if I wouldn'd really *love* it. :)

Cheers,
Karl-Heinz

postscriptum: Printouts of "KDE 2 Programmierung" are available at your
              local dealer or on the editor's "Markt+Technik Online"
              page http://www.mut.de/shop/sh-info.asp?ID=3827259800
              or via amazon:
              www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3827259800/kdesktopenvironm
--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:khz@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>            <mailto:khz@kde.org>