List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Getting rid of yes/no (was: Re: Ideas for kde3 part II)
From:       Mark Deneen <deneen () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-11-01 1:38:39

Rolf Magnus wrote:

>I see it exactly the opposite. If the user gets this dialog, but doesn't want
>to quit, he probably activated the quit by accident and might not even now
>that he did so. If the button says "Don't quit", the user exactly knows what
>happens without reading the dialog text. The button should contain the
>shortest possible description of what happens when it's pressed. And when the
>user sees "Cancel", he needs to first read what to cancel.

I see the opposite.  If I don't know what I just did, or clicked
something by accident.. my first reaction is to hit "Cancel".

Not all actions will result in a "Don't Quit" situation.  I always know
what cancel means, and it is always the last button in a dialog.

I don't actually have to read anything, and I know I won't do something
I don't intend to do. In fact, I don't even have to fully read anything,
just scan for a word that looks like cancel.

-M