List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Getting rid of yes/no (was: Re: Ideas for kde3 part II)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-10-31 23:17:01

On Mercredi 31 Octobre 2001 23:33, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> #if Waldo Bastian
>
> > cancel always results in a safe "nothing bad will happen" action. That's why
> > it is always called "Cancel", you don't need to read the whole text to
> > understand the implications of each action, pressing Cancel stops what you
> > where about to do. That allows users to develop a simple "oh no, I didn't
> > want that -> press cancel" style of reaction. For the same reason the "ESC"
> > key always activates the Cancel button. Having a different text instead of
> > Cancel would make that reaction basically impossible, because then you
> > suddenly need to read the whole text, think of what each button would do and
> > then realize that "Don't quit" is probably the one that you want.
>
> But when I close a window and I get the options:
> [Save] [Discard] [Cancel]
> I am left wondering what I am cancelling here.

You're obviously cancelling the action of closing the window....
(and even if you're not sure what that action is, it doesn't matter,
cancel will bring you back to the state you were in, before triggering that action)

http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/ , http://www.konqueror.org/
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops