List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KProcess and stdout/stderr!
From:       Tim Lee <tlee () tc ! fluke ! com>
Date:       2001-10-30 22:35:41

On Tuesday 30 October 2001 03:16 pm, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 October 2001 12:20 pm, Tim Lee wrote:
> > On Monday 29 October 2001 06:44 pm, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Waldo and others who have pointed me in correct
> > direction on this.  I ended up inheriting from KProcess
> > and using kdelibs/kdesu/kdesu_pty.h (libkdesu) to make
> > a KProcessPty that does all the IO through a terminal.
> > Seems to work well.
> >
> > Is anyone else interested in such a class?
>
> Might be a good candidate for kdecore, or maybe we can integrate it with
> KProcess and add a flag "use Pty" ?

Seems cleaner as a subclass to KProcess since otherwise
it would require a lot of conditional code in KProcess.
The other option would be to break out a base class from
KProcess and have each inherit from it:

	KProcessBase
         |       |
  KProcess     KProcessTty

KProcessBase would have all the KProcess stuff that
pertains to a process that is not stdin/stdout/stderr
(comm) related.  Currently my KProcessTty class is not
able to implement some of the KProcess features because
some of the methods are not virtual (suspend()/resume())
and the above would also fix that.

If this sounds worth while I will do it!

> Cheers,
> Waldo

> >> unsubscribe <<

Regards,