List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Getting rid of yes/no (was: Re: Ideas for kde3 part II)
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2001-10-30 12:31:09

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 08:12:05PM +0100, Holger Freyther wrote:
> KmessageBox is cool but today I missed this one feature.
> KmessageBox offers questionYesNo but no questionYesNoCancel( )

At the risk of restrting an ancient discussion: Yes/No/Cancel are bad
messageboxes, because it requires you to read the entire box. Close a window
with a changed document, what is faster?

"There are unsafed changes in Document1. Do you want to save changes to
Document1?"

[yes] [no] [cancel]

or

"There are unsafed changes in Document1"

[save and exit] [exit] [don't exit]

Avoiding yes/no questions will be even more useful when we start to use
icons on buttons. Looks real nice and a saveexit.png, exit.png and app.png
addition to such buttons would make the inferface a lot more friendly to
use.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
cap@capsi.com | temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."