List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: "Cool" uses of KDE
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-25 22:34:07

On Thursday 25 October 2001 23:38, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> I am going to be doing a fairly short (30 minute) session on "hidden"
> features of KDE at ALS.  These are things that KDE (or KDE apps) enable
> you to do that aren't very obvious and not very many people know about
> them.

The help ioslave :)

Ok, that's not so cool from a user perspective, it's just help pages, but,
the man and info ioslaves, especially the #command and ##command shortcuts
are very popular with users on IRC once they've been shown.

Setting keybindings for all apps, even non-kde ones, is popular.

Kpager is very cute, I use it all the time - it's quite intuitive to many
people to be able to move icons around virtual desktops, as opposed to the
less interactive embedded pager in the panel.  I've got lots of people who
were quite anti multiple desktops to look at them differently by showing them
Kpager. Turn on the "show background" and "Type of window" to icon, and most
people love it.

I can't think of any more that aren't quite obvious, but these are the ones
that seem to be most overlooked by especially new-to-kde users.

Good luck with your presentation, I'm sure you'll have way too much material
for 30 minutes by the time we're all finished bombarding you!

--
Lauri Watts