List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: State of the Noatun
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-10-24 22:08:11

On Wednesday 24 October 2001 23:12, Charles Samuels wrote:
> The main reason engine.cpp and player.cpp havn't been moved to
> libnoatunarts is that both of them depend on other parts of noatun to
> function.  And if you need your own media player, you can just use the
> kaboodle kpart.

Hmm... for the app I'm creating at work I was perfectly able to extract just
engine.* from kaboodle without having to use the whole part. I don't want the
kaboodle part's GUI, I only want the playing code. So, using the part would
not be an option for me. (Or there should be a non-hacky way to use the part
as plugin without GUI, haven't really checked, but doesn't seem the case.)

> In any case, noatun is BSD, which may explain why it's already in 3 places
> in cvs :)

And in my app :-)

Seriously though, 3 places in CVS + forked into non-CVS apps == screaming for
its own lib if you ask me. There should be _some_ way to generalize the code
such that at least all apps but noatun can make use of it. Noatun is the
heaviest and most feature-rich of all mde multimedia apps and might need its
own engine. Most (all?) other apps do not and would benefit from a shared lib.

Martijn