List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Language bindings
From:       Richard Dale <Richard_Dale () tipitina ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-10-23 17:10:45

On Tuesday 23 October 2001 12:10 pm, ian reinhart geiser wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 October 2001 06:35 am, Richard Dale wrote:
> > I have C bindings for Qt 2.3.0 and KDE 2.2 already done. I didn't get
> > them checked in for KDE 2.2.1 because I hit a weird dynamic linking/PIC
> > problem with the Objective-C bindings, which I couldn't solve. I'll send
> > them to you, along with the current kdoc C++ -> C source converter.
>
> I would like to take a moment to say YOU ROCK!
Thanks!

> I wonder if this would present some migration paths from Motif/CDE  and
> GTK/Gnome to KDE?  We can offer developers an easy way to fix "design
> mistakes" ;)
I think C is a completely unsuitable language for writing GUI based
applications. That was proved over 20 years ago with Smalltalk-80. On the
other hand, Smalltalk-80 is completely unsuitable for writing C++ parsers...

There is no point in porting CDE or Gnome apps to KDE, and these C bindings
don't help with that. It is much easier to just start again with the front
end of a legacy CDE app. Any Gnome apps are probably in active development
and don't need converting to KDE. If us KDE people can use Gnome apps, and
the Gnome people like writing in C, it doesn't seem a problem to me. I've
read some good reports about the StarOffice/KDE desktop combo recently.

-- Richard