List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Some coding suggestions
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-10-22 21:17:06

On Monday 22 October 2001 22:49, John Gluck wrote:
> I do send patches when I have found and fixed a bug. Why is it that
> everyone's instant response is something like "send patches"??? My answer
> is been there done that.

Probably because of the almost inflammatory tone of your mail. Ellis worded
it exactly the way I think about your postings, so I won't repeat after him.
Please read his message and take his advice into consideration. It would make
your work much more appreciated - and you don't even have to change your work
for that, just change the way you present it :-)

> Bad coding style is not necessarily a bug. When there are compiler
> warnings, the original coders should be fixing them as they occur. Too much
> encouragement for "send patches" can also become a "Aww what the  heck
> someone will send a patch".

Be warned by the way that a warning on one compiler may not show up on
another compiler or platform. Worse, the very warning might be the result of
someone trying to get rid of a warning on another platform. Or because
getting rid of the warning breaks compilation on other compilers.

On the whole I agree that warnings are bad, though, but I personally wouldn't
bother to get rid of them in code that's not yours. Unless that code produces
just one or two warnings, that is. It is simply too much effort if you are
not familiar with the code and it doesn't normally pay off with regards to
stability, performance and/or features.

If it _is_ code you are familiar with, then by all means try to avoid
warnings, though.

Just my two cents.

Martijn