List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Which development tools do you use ?
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2001-10-17 17:03:07

On Wednesday 17 October 2001 18:36, John Gluck wrote:

> I thought GDB was pretty pitiful too until I read the GDB manual (Yeah, I
> know reading manuals is for whimps :-> )

Which is what I mean :-). The last thing I want to do when debugging is
having to learn a complicated tool.

> Anyway, GCC only puts out very limited debug info for C++ unless you add
> the following compile switches  -g3 -gstabs+

I read that on this mailing list a while ago and tried it, but didn't see any
improvement. What difference is it supposed to make ?

> that will give you much more debug info and make debugging much easier.

Can you show me an example where this makes a difference ?

> Also, GUI front ends don't give you access to all the GDB features.

Again, this is what I mean :-). Debugging is definitely something for which a
GUI is almost essential.

--
Guillaume
http://www.telegraph-road.org