List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Which development tools do you use ?
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-17 10:35:01

#if Kai Heitkamp
> Hi there,
>
> which development tools do you use for developing KDE ?
> I mean, which editor (kate ...), debugger (ddd ...) or an IDE (KDevelop,
> KStudio ...) ?

Vim for editing. My preferred editing 'style' - and it has enough of
the fancy features provided by EMACS (like tag completion, error
message parsing + jump to error lines, press a key over a variable
to see the man page, etc.)

I hardly ever use a debugger. Coding with Qt makes it harder to mess
up your memory, and I'm pretty strict about internal checking.

Usually I have two konsoles open, side-by-side, one with Vim and one
which I type 'make' in. Sometimes I use ':make' in Vim, so I can skip
directly to errors, but other times I want to see coloured output
(from colorgcc) so I use the other terminal.

For dialog design, Qt designer is all you need IMO.

The only thing I miss from Vim is a class browser, but until someone
writes a class browser that doesn't require me to reach for the mouse,
I'll just have to keep to 1 class per file, which isn't such a bad
rule of thumb anyway, I find.

Rik