List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror bug verification
From:       Keith Packard <keithp () keithp ! com>
Date:       2001-10-16 14:51:16

Around 18 o'clock on Oct 15, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> I seem to remember one of the XFree86 guys applied a (hacky) patch.
> Also note they applied it in one place, while BoxRec is used _EVERYWHERE_.
> XFree86 is int16 vs int32 hell in this regard.

One must be ever vigilent when dealing with regions in the X server which
are represented as 16-bit signed integer ranges.  It would be nice if C
provided better typechecking to catch things like this, but instead we get
to endlessly review the code.

The particular issue described in this message (fbGlyphIn failure) was
fixed last month (2001/09/07).  This will be in the 4.2 XFree86 release.

Anyone with persistent XFree86 crashes on long URLs is encouraged to try a
more recent X server.  Of course, turning on AA text will also fix the
problem as that avoids the broken routine.

keithp@keithp.com	 XFree86 Core Team		SuSE, Inc.