List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fonts, non-english languages, QT3 & KDE3 -- try this on your system
From:       Arash Zeini <azeini () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-10-16 4:14:57

Zeini wrote:
> > We (RTL languages) are having some trouble
defining
> > and using keyboards as it seems that some Unicode
> > characters (or just the hex format) are not
working
> > and supported under X11. Can you or anybody else
on
> > this list help us out with this? It seems we can
use
> > QT to make a workaround.
> > Please let me know and I will post a more complete
> > description of the problem.
>
> There are languages and glyphs which were defined by
Unicode but not in
> the X11 keysyms list, so that you cannot apparently
set up the keys to
> return the appropriate symbol.

Exactly.

> The commonly adopted way around it is to represent
pure Unicode values
> with keysym values 0x01000000 + the UTF-16 value of
the character.
> This is made possible since the values above
0x01000000 are not
> allocated for existing keysyms. IIRC, both xterm,
GTK+ 1.3 and Qt 2.3+
> adopted this method.

Thanks for the information. Are there any references
available on this, where I can read up on it? I assume
I can replace the values in hex format with the keysym
values 0x01000000 + the UTF-16 in the keyboard layout
file itself.

Greetings,
Arash