List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: SSH kioslave
From:       Jörg Walter <ehrlich () ich ! bin ! kein ! hoschi ! de>
Date:       2001-10-11 18:47:48

On Wednesday 10 October 2001 23:55, George Staikos wrote:

> > Only none worked until Saturday, when I began coding this one. Or they
> > were hiding cleverly. kio_fish works, and I am confident enough to call
> > it 1.0, both feature- and bug-wise. (Please, do send bug reports or
> > simple "it works") Moreover, FISH is not sftp. FISH is no protocol at
> > all, but using dd, cat, rm, mv, cp, grep, ls, ... to do all filesystem
> > management tasks. I even want try to use rsync for better performance,
> > dunno yet if it is possible. Basically, even if you're stuck with some
> > obscure web server O/S and no admin privileges, you can still work fine.

>   I would just like to point out that this is perhaps the most dangerous
> I/O slave to install yet.  I haven't seen how it works, but based on
> description, it sounds like a webpage redirecting to this i/o slave could
> do virtually anything.

Good point, though a redirecting webpage will "only" trigger fetching a file.
(Or is there some URL Syntax that triggers deletion of a file?)

kio_fish is a straight networking-filesystem type of ioslave, designed to
resemble file:// in look&feel as closely as possible. So it shouldn't be more
dangerous than the file:// ioslave.

One point to remember, though, is the ease of access this ioslave gives to
you. Having easy access to different remote machines poses a threat in
itself, since mistakes are made easier.
During the last days, I had access to machines I didn't visit during the
whole last year, cleaned up home directories, collected all the files that
were scattered throughout the world. One or two of them were shared accounts,
where a mistake could have wreaked havoc on someone elses files as well. Or
think of root access via ssh (If you enabled it. Don't!).

>    So, do we have this hole fully closed up in konqueror yet?  If so,
> people should be made aware to only use this slave on current versions.

Is it really a hole? Even if redirecting to some fish:// URL, there is still
a password to be entered. If you are using ssh-agent or kdesud, you should
already know this is a security risk.

--
CU
	Joerg

PGP Public Key at http://ich.bin.kein.hoschi.de/~trouble/public_key.asc
PGP Key fingerprint = D34F 57C4 99D8 8F16 E16E  7779 CDDC 41A4 4C48 6F94