List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: New project proposal -- customer and pay tracker for small businesses
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-09-30 12:32:37

On Sunday 30 September 2001 10:45, Warren Turkal wrote:
> It maybe worthwhile to look into implementing a system of storage
> plugins for KAB (plugin for Perl DBI, plugin for XML file, etc.) and
> to make KAB more extensible (allow user defined fields that can be
> related to subsections - for example, allow user defined phone number
> fields that appear in the phone number list).
>
> Maybe some kind of Kioslave for different storage could be
> implemented so that any app could store data anywhere.

Different storage backends would be nice for KAB in terms of data
exchange, but I don't think we should extend KAB to cover all possible
types of data, which could be related to a contact. It's probably
better to store for example detailed customer data in a database or
something similar and keep a reference to the entry in the address
book. So you keep the address book lightweight and can use it, e.g. for
quickly sending an e-mail, but don't carry all the stuff needed for
more sophisticated applications, while still providing consistency over
different apps.

> These plans are totally grandiose, and I am unable to implement them.
> I just wanted to contribute to the idea pool. Also, maybe we could
> figure a general way to do data exchange between programs. For
> instance, it would be neat if Knotes added to the Todo list in
> Korganizer.

You mean, that KNotes entries would automatically also appear in the
todo list of KOrganizer?