List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: What is libfam ???
From:       Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-09-28 6:36:22

On Friday 28 September 2001 08:15, Andreas Pour wrote:
..
> From the rpm description:
>
> Fam, the File Alteration Monitor, provides a daemon and an API which
> applications can use to be notified when specific files or directories
> are changed.  Fam works best if your kernel has imon.  (Otherwise, it
> has to poll the filesystem instead of being notified as operations are
> performed on the files it's monitoring.)  See
> http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/ for more information on fam and
> imon.
>

> KDE uses fam to determine when files or directories have been changed in
> most places where a change would be significant (e.g., if you add a new
> .desktop file, kicker should be notified if it is an application file so
> it can update the menu and konqueror should be notified if it is a
> mimelnk file).
>
> If you don't have libfam and the kernel module imon, KDE has to use
> polling to check for changed files/directories, which is inefficient
> (can take significant CPU if a lot of directories are being watched and
> can slow other processes trying to access the hard drive).  So if you
> can use libfam and the imon kernel module :-).

Hi,

the above cited text looks _perfect_ to me.  :-)

What about adding that to the kde.org online documentation and/or to
the respective Usenet postings?
(For german language this would be the "KDE-Kompilations-FAQ"
 of Thomas Schuetz in de.comp.os.unix.apps.kde,
 topic "2.6) Welche Bibliotheken und Zusatzprogramme benötigt KDE?"
 mentioning needed or usefull libs and add-on programs.)

Karl-Heinz

--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:khz@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>            <mailto:khz@kde.org>

   BugCops  ***  Making Free Software Better  ***  http://bugcops.org