List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: What is libfam ???
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2001-09-28 6:15:05

John Gluck wrote:

> Hi All
>
> This may not be directly a KDE question but...
>
> I wrote an app for KDE and someone is having trouble with it. I asked
> him to send me a copy of the binary he compiled.
> On my system it crashes because libfem isn't found. This is the first
> time I've heard of this lib.
>
> Can someone point me to a home page or someplace where I can get the
> source and a description of what it does???

Hi,

From the rpm description:

Fam, the File Alteration Monitor, provides a daemon and an API which
applications can use to be notified when specific files or directories
are changed.  Fam works best if your kernel has imon.  (Otherwise, it
has to poll the filesystem instead of being notified as operations are
performed on the files it's monitoring.)  See
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/ for more information on fam and
imon.

KDE uses fam to determine when files or directories have been changed in
most places where a change would be significant (e.g., if you add a new
.desktop file, kicker should be notified if it is an application file so
it can update the menu and konqueror should be notified if it is a
mimelnk file).

If you don't have libfam and the kernel module imon, KDE has to use
polling to check for changed files/directories, which is inefficient
(can take significant CPU if a lot of directories are being watched and
can slow other processes trying to access the hard drive).  So if you
can use libfam and the imon kernel module :-).

Ciao,

Dre