List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Fwd: Re: "Click and Scroll" in konqueror
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! ZRZ ! TU-BERLIN ! DE>
Date:       2001-09-27 23:49:06

Antonio asked me to forward this.

----------  Forwarded message  ----------

Subject: Re: "Click and Scroll" in konqueror
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 01:44:03 +0200
From: Antonio Larrosa Jiménez <larrosa@kde.org>
To: carp@cs.tu-berlin.de

I sent this mail a few days ago, let's see if it arrives now.

El Mar 25 Sep 2001 14:09, Julien Gilles escribió:
> Hi,

Hello,

> there is a cool feature in Acrobat Reader (IMHO), that could be used in
> konqueror - and perhaps in other "documents viewer" : it's possible to
> left-click on the document, move the mouse, and so "move" the text in
> the window, instead of using the scrollbars.

Some time ago, I implemented a wheel emulation mode in X so that you can
do something like:
Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "mouse"
  Option        "Device"        "/dev/pointer0"
  Option        "Protocol"      "MouseManPlusPS/2"
  Option        "Buttons"       "4"
  Option       "WheelButtonEmulation" "4"
  Option       "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

and you could use the fourth button to emulate a wheel (in fact, to
emulate two wheels) when moving your mouse. The patch was ignored due to
bad timing (XFree was in freeze for 4.1.0) . Recently, a similar patch
(done by someone else) was accepted and it works ok (in fact, I've sent
the XFree team a patch to fix it, but even if it hasn't been applied yet,
I hope it's applied soon, because the wheel emulation doesn't work without
it).

The correct syntax (for current XFree's cvs and future releases) is :

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "mouse"
  Identifier    "Mouse[1]"
  Option        "Device"        "/dev/pointer0"
  Option        "Protocol"      "MouseManPlusPS/2"
  Option        "Buttons"       "4"
  Option        "XAxisMapping"  "6 7"
  Option        "YAxisMapping"  "4 5"
  Option        "EmulateWheel"  "1"
  Option        "EmulateWheelButton"  "4"
  Option        "EmulateWheelInertia"  "2"
EndSection

But now comes the problem. Buttons 6 and 7 (horizontal wheel) cannot be
used because "the core protocol is limited to 5 buttons" (even if it
works, and I've patched Qt to support those buttons in addition to Buttons
4 and 5 (vertical wheel) ). I've been told that I should implement an
XInput extension just to support those two additional buttons, but I think
that's nonsense (specially, when all my patches up to date have been
ignored by the XFree team, and I haven't had any response to my question
about any docs or help about doing that XInput extension, so I don't plan
to loose a lot of time doing that extension "just for me" as long as I can
do a simple patch that adds support for buttons 6 and 7 to Qt "just for
me" in the same way and get the same results). Also, that XInput extension
would be a mostly a duplicate of the current mouse code, which is also
absurd.

Note: The X server way has the benefit that it works with any application
(not just konqueror/khtml)
Note 2: It's obvious that Trolltech won't apply the patch to Qt as long as
the XFree team doesn't support more buttons "officially" in X.h (and I
understand that what Trolltech does is ok).

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
KDE Core developer  - larrosa@kde.org