List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Some thoughts on kdelibs et al.
From:       Andrew Sutton <ansutton () sep ! com>
Date:       2001-09-25 16:18:23

On Tuesday 25 September 2001 10:53, John Gluck wrote:
> Hi
>
> To see which if any virtual methods are added by the class you need only
> look at the immediate predecessor which is fairly trival.
> On the other hand, if you need to go down (up) a hierarchy a half dozen
> levels or so each time you want to find out if a method is virtual that can
> get very tedious.
> Also, most classes I've seen don't add new virtuals. There are probably
> exceptions but...

actually, since we're on the subject of accessors and attributes, etc..

why not just use Qt's built in property stuff. it lets you define the
protection of attributes (i think) and automatically creates accessors and
mutators for you... it also registers those properties with that object's
meta-data class (an added bonus).

i'm not really sure how it works, if all the property members are created
private however.

i know it has some drawbacks however - i don't think you can actually
specifiy the function signature or the implementation for more complicated
accessors or mutators (i could be wrong).

andy