List:       kde-debian-devel
Subject:    [devel] Opinions for network interface configuration dialog
From:       Juan Luis Baptiste <juan.baptiste () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2004-05-18 10:28:06

Hi,

I haven't been able to work in KNetworkConf in the last weeks, a lightning in
a tremendous storm fell in the backyard of my home and took down the freezer,
the tv cable descrambler, a bunch of lights, the network card of the desktop
PC and.... my laptop charger :-(. The warranty replacement came about three
weeks later, so until this weekend I was able to start coding again.

I started redisigning a little bit the interface configuration dialog to make
it more usable. I have various possibilities:

http://knetworkconf.sourceforge.net/Screenshots/0.6/kaddDeviceDlg1.png
http://knetworkconf.sourceforge.net/Screenshots/0.6/kaddDeviceDlg2.png
http://knetworkconf.sourceforge.net/Screenshots/0.6/kaddDeviceDlg3.png
http://knetworkconf.sourceforge.net/Screenshots/0.6/kaddDeviceDlg4.png

In the last one, the idea is to only show bootp protocol when being in
"Advanced" mode, or could it be removed at all? I haven't seen any place
where a desktop user can use bootp protocol to configure it's network
interface, I think nowadays bootp is only used with thin clients (so it's a
different kind of setup, not for common desktop users)?

Any thoughts are welcome.

P.D.: I haven't figured out why when running kcontrol as a normal user and
then pressing the "Administrator mode" button doesn't load KNetworkConf with
root priviledges, instead it loads the kcontrol default page. Any ideas on
this would be also very much appreciated.

Cheers,
--
Juan Luis Baptiste
http://www.merlinux.org