List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: Debian Desktop... but which Debian on my Desktop...
From:       Christoph Wiesen <chris () deadhand ! com>
Date:       2004-10-03 20:44:12

Am Sunday, 3. October 2004 21:59 schrieben Sie:
> Am Sunday 03 October 2004 12:16 schrieb Christoph Wiesen:
> > When a new user starts the system he will surely have no idea of what the
> > little boxes with "1" and "2" on them are about, and when he clicks on
> > them nothing will happen... hmmm.
>
> My experience has also been that the desktop pager often makes for one of
> the first "Wow, this is cool" in new apprentices :)
>
> IMHO two desktops are perfect for a start, maybe have distinguishable
> backgrounds. I think it might even be considered to omit the show-desktop
> icon in favor of the pager.
>
> Christian

Having different background images sounds like a very good idea to grasp the
concept of Virtual Desktops quickly and to always "know where you are".

If new users really start to use this feature though I think the show_desktop
is necessary, since both desktops be full with windows at some point.

I actually did different colour versions of default_blue to see how it works.
I think blue and green could be the default - with yellow and 'pink' (red
seemed a bit aggressive somehow) as options for those who later decide to
have more Virtual Desktops.

JPG Previews here:
http://www.deadhand.com/ddd/wallpaper/default_green.jpg
http://www.deadhand.com/ddd/wallpaper/default_yellow.jpg
http://www.deadhand.com/ddd/wallpaper/default_pink.jpg

PNG Set here:
http://www.deadhand.com/ddd/wallpaper/default_set.tar.gz

Hey if this will be really used it would be my first contribution :)