List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: KMail 1.7: New Message To Mailing List
From:       Alex Nordstrom <alexander.nordstromDONT_CC_ME () tpg ! com ! au>
Date:       2004-09-19 18:13:12

On Monday, 20 Sep 2004 01:13, Ralph Alvy wrote:
> Alex Nordstrom wrote:

> >>When I do that, KMail says it doesn't see any mailing list in the
> >>folder.
> >
> > I believe there needs to be some messages in the folder from that
> > mailing list, with proper List-Post headers for it to work. I'm not
> > sure if it will work on IMAP folders or if there may be other
> > issues involved.
>
> There are many message in there, though they're all IMAP folders.

Well, I have access to an IMAP account, so I ran some tests. Turned out
to be a blind alley. The detection works fine for me with IMAP, even
when I'm not subscribing to those folders (didn't try disconnected
IMAP). I did notice, though, that a message with list headers has to be
selected for it to work.

> >>So I fill out the mailing list address and press Add. It
> >>still fails to do anything when I press the New Message To Mailing
> >>List button.
> >
> > The address needs to be in the form of mailto:kde-debian@kde.org
> > (notice the mailto:).
>
> I don't think I have a single mailing list that uses that format. Not
> one. And I have a lot of mailing list folders.

What I'm saying is, that has to be in the Mailing List tab for the Post
to List action. That is what I get in that field when autodetecting,
and the New Message to Mailing-List button works for me for all of the
21 lists that I subscribe to.

The idea behind it is that some actions have alternate methods (using
the http protocol instead of mailto), so the posting address needs to
be prefixed with it for KMail to know which handler to invoke.

If you look at the List-Post header in messages on this list, for
example, you'll see that is how they are given as well:

The actual address in the To field in the composing window obviously no
longer has the mailto: prefix.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/