List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: TuxumOS installer
From:       "Peter Rockai \(mornfall\)" <mornfall () danill ! sk>
Date:       2004-09-19 10:36:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 19 September 2004 11:48, Pedro María de Echanove Pasquín wrote:
> Hi all
Hello!
> I am new at the list. My name is Pedro Echanove and I am the CEO (and one
> of the first developers) of Tuxum, a spanish company that develops free
> software.
Welcome to the list!
> We have developed a Linux distribution, which is Debian based (woody R2).
> The Desktop we choose for that distribution was of course KDE. Basically,
> our operating system (TuxumOS Desktop) is: Debian stable + lots of
> backports + KDE 3 + kernel 2.6 + XFree 4.4 (wish to switch to x.org) +
> updated hardware detection + OpenOffice 1.1.2 + Tuxum installer (GPL
Yes, i see. I suppose it is lot of effort to backport everything to stable? It
would be very interesting if we could share the effort on the
(security-supported, more on that later) desktop and possibly kalyxo-stable
branch of debian.
> installer developed from scratch by Tuxum - now we are transforming it into
> a qt frontend for Debian installer). The installer is very easy to use (it
> is designed for an end user - only has 4 steps) and there is a script in
> order to generate an ISO image with selected packages that boots the
> installer from the CD or DVD.
Oh, very good :). It'd be very cool if you could point us at the scripts so we
can take a look. We were thinking about using the debian-cd script-set, but
if yours is superior, we'll stick to yours (or is it based on debian-cd?).
More details would be appreciated. As for the installer, very well, i'm happy
to hear that. We are very interested in using it for kalyxo CD's as well. If
everything goes well, it could be that kalyxo and tuxum are in fact just
rebrandings and few tweaks to the common base :).

We are currently working on a release plan, i'll make it public real soon now,
and will announce on the list. Hold on.
> The result is a very robust and stable operating system which has the
> latest and best Desktop for Linux (KDE 3.3).
>
> We want to collaborate with this project because we see a lot of affinities
> between it and our project.
Yes, i do too, and i'm very glad to see you here :).

> Regards,
> Pedro Echanove
Yours,
    Peter