List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Again on KControl
From:       "C. Gatzemeier" <c.gatzemeier () tu-bs ! de>
Date:       2004-03-05 10:50:53

Am Donnerstag, 4. März 2004 23:35 schrieb Frans Englich:

> Having KAdmin would also help in other aspects - we wouldn't have to have
> an individual app for each administration issue, thus saving code as well
> as KMenu entries.

I strongly agree when what you are saying is that from the users perspective,
and on most private deskops the user is also the admin, everything has to be
not just available somewhere on the system, but readily findable from one
place and intuitvely named always _with_ the addition of the technical term
that is refered to.
(i.e. Network Connection (eth0), Conifgure automatically (with DHCP), etc.)

This is IMHO the best way to help newbies, _and_ to help them to advance their
perception of computers (computer literacy), and with time they will begin
starting to associate these things. Only proprietary software vendors desire
dumb users, that sadly are more disposed to suffer (and pay for more of it),
than to think about what they are doing and where they are going.  It
definitely doesn't hurt to provide pointers, someone might just get
interested.  And geeks would also find their way through such an app rather
easily. (And not just think how stupid this is.)

And because we are talking about Configuration Management applications here, I
would allways suggest to build a good Desktop solution on a good GNU/Linux
sulution, like http://freedesktop.org/Main/CFG for example. Allowing the
desktop side development to focus more ressources on usability, sharing the
foundation.

Christian