List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: KDE UserLinux metapackages?
From:       Christian Mueller <cmueller () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-02-12 23:09:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Donnerstag, 12. Februar 2004 09:31 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> On Tuesday 10 February 2004 23:03, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> > Ivan Petrouchtchak wrote:

[snip]

> From what I heard, Java support is very good, but plugins for othr languages
> are more proof-of-concept implementations.

I'd call that a bit too harsh.  A colleague of mine is happily using the
C++ support along with many littly plugins (for development with Qt, BTW).
That's one of the strengths of the Eclipse framework:
Tons of plugins (of course some are more useful than others ;-)

The PHP plugin by xored is not perfect yet but good enough to make me
switch over from emacs (at least for half of the time).

Not surprisingly the Java support is the best of all, just as you mentioned:

> Anyway, the Java developers I know say it is the best currently available Java
> IDE, however the GTK2 based SWT is quite slow.

I find it quite responsive on a P4 / 2.4 GHz, especially if you
compare it to Netbeans. The most annoying thing for me is that it doesn't
conform to standard selection and clipboard handling under Linux.
MMB pasting doesn't work for me.  It feels somewhat strange on my KDE desktop.

> Someone (IIRC IBM themselves) has developed a SWT implementation based on Qt
> but won't release it ("licence issues")

That would be interesting to try out.

Christian.