List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: KDE UserLinux metapackages?
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-02-12 8:31:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 10 February 2004 23:03, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Ivan Petrouchtchak wrote:
> > Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> >> Java => Eclipse-sdk
> >>

> >> Stupid question: what is eclipse actually ?
> >
> > http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/faq/eclipse-faq.html#about_8
> >
> >> Is it simply an IDE ? Why is there so much hype around it ?
> >
> > Because of the big names and support behind it,
>
> I don't think that's all to it. I am not a programmer, but guessing
> from people who are, and on whose judgement I trust, Eclipse is a
> really powerful thing already. It is very modular and flexible,
> and counts to date several hundert plugins to do different things.
> It is not for Java only, while it is written in Java. It seems to
> support more programming (old and new) languages than any other
> IDE...

From what I heard, Java support is very good, but plugins for othr languages
are more proof-of-concept implementations.

Anyway, the Java developers I know say it is the best currently available Java
IDE, however the GTK2 based SWT is quite slow.
Someone (IIRC IBM themselves) has developed a SWT implementation based on Qt
but won't release it ("licence issues")

Cheers,
Kevin

--