List:       kde-debian
Subject:    [Fwd: Re: [Discuss] xlibs based UI]
From:       "Kurt Pfeifle" <kpfeifle () danka ! de>
Date:       2004-02-01 2:51:05

FYI... (see also last paragraph).

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:00:44 -0800
From: Bruce Perens <bruce@perens.com>
To: discuss@lists.userlinux.com, jpierre@cantv.net
Subject: Re: [Discuss] xlibs based UI

>It's easy and democratic, and the reasons to exclude any QT-based
>application in UserLinux are absolutely fair: it is NOT FREE SOFTWARE
>and doesn't fit the license requirements of the distribution.

No, let's please not propogate this confusion.

Qt is free software, and has been for a long time now. It's GPL-ed. It
used to be non-free by the Debian guidelines several years ago, that has
been taken care of to my satisfaction.

It doesn't fit our licensing policies, not because it's not free, but
for the same reason MySQL doesn't - it's putting the GPL in a place
where we would prefer to put the LGPL so that proprietary development
can take place without a commercial license.

Troll Tech uses dual licensing as a revenue strategy. They have a right
to do so, and they are entirely within the ethos of the free software
community in doing so.

I already have a customer asking for Perens LLC to provide commercial
support for KDE on the UserLinux platform. And we will do so, even
though KDE is not the chosen GUI of the UserLinux project. This is an
option for any UserLinux service provider.

    Thanks

    Bruce
Perens LLC / 1563 Solano Ave. / PMB 349 / Berkeley CA 94707 / USA