List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Is it time to split or time to join?
From:       "C. Gatzemeier" <c.gatzemeier () tu-bs ! de>
Date:       2004-01-28 12:56:29

Some nice and funny project names have been mentioned already. Impressing how
many people associate different things with the kde-debian initiative.

But more importently many nice things are in the works and look for a place
for presentation. Of course, everybody loves news and previews so a common
web site and a live CD would be great.

In order to avoid unecessary maintanance load for the Live CD I agree it would
be good to work with a modular project like Morphix. Allowing to maintain a
kde-debian module and providing live employments of new kde-debian stuff this
way. Putting out a more standalone CD could run the risk to become just yet
another distribution and tie up a lot of manpower outside of Debian and KDE.
(And I think that was disscussed in great detail with UserLinux already)

KDE and Debian people readily agreed on points that needed attention not only
for "Conquering the (Enterprise) Desktop" [1]. The kde-debian initiatve to
polish the edges was born. But does that need to be a separate project with
its own name, not to risk the term brand? After all is it not a general cool
integrated and versatile Free Software Desktop we want to see upstream in
Debian and more wide spread in the future. Possibly with a graphical d-i
frontend.

An altenative to selecting a new name could be to do a little coordination
with the Debian-Desktop group [2].  Kde-debian covers much of the general and
KDE site of it. What about sticking to "The kde-debian initiative" that gets
the work done without being $kde-debian.com?

Cheers,
Christian

[1] http://desktop.kdenews.org/strategy.html
[2] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-desktop