List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: kactions, toolbars and pop up menus in KCModules
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2004-01-27 0:16:19

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:49 pm, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 January 2004 01:45, Pupeno wrote:
> > On Monday 26 January 2004 16:48, Frans Englich wrote:
> > > On Monday 26 January 2004 16:55, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > Regarding toolbars in kcms.. usability wise I personally react a little
> > > awkward. Is toolbars in kcms something we think is a good idea or is it
> > > Bad Thing? (Something to put in KCM_CONVENTIONS I guess)
> > > I would say there's many good reasons to say it is a bad idea.

The reason why toolbars don't fit in KControl is that toolbars are intended
for use in primary applications* and provide fast access to functionality
that is also available in menus. Toolbars are not suitable for utilities
mainly because the buttons need to be learnt and often lack clear and
descriptive labels. People rarely become that familiar with a utility.
Toolbars should never be the only way of accessing a function.

* primary applications =  apps that people live in all day every. Think
secretries and wordprocessors.

> > I'm making a user management kcm, I want a toolbar to add users, remove
> Cool :) It is definitely appreciated and needed.

I'm not sure who said what, but if anyone is making a user admin kcontrol
module then they should stop by kde-debian because it definately sounds like
we've got overlap happening.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/