List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Installing 3rd party packages, apt URIs
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-01-19 10:23:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 18 January 2004 23:40, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 10:10:05PM +0100, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > The problem are packages outside our usual apt sources.
> > Now the idea or question is:
> > can we come up with a schema for an URI for apt sources that can be put
> > on webpages instead of the download link.
> > So that, for example, I could go to sourceforge, search for a program,
> > click on an "apt link" in the results and have it added to my sources
> > list.
>
> Or, alternatively, everyone could just upload to the one archive, and
> people could pick what they wanted to take from that archive with
> Kapture or something.

True, for every package where this is possible that's obviously the best
distribution method.

But services like apt-get.org aren't there for nothing.
Obviously there is currently a need for additional package reposititories.
I just wanted to get people's ideas how using such secondary repositories
could be made easier.

Cheers,
Kevin

P.S.: same mechanism would be good to official repositories as well, in the
case that you want to use a mirror that is not available during Debian
install.