List:       kde-debian
Subject:    Re: Installing 3rd party packages, apt URIs
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-01-19 10:15:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 19 January 2004 07:56, Sascha Morr wrote:

> hm the problem is that commercial applications will sell not only over
> the internet. And a companys surely don't want to put their expensive
> Software to a open server. So what we need is a installation routine
> whitch works with dep packages.

That is already covered, I think KPackage can handle .deb

The problem I am addressing are extra repositories that contain packages with
dependencies.
People always complain about missing dependencies when they "download a RPM"
(or deb in our case).
We already have all the software to install packages resolving and downloading
all dependencies, but currenlty one has to add the apt source manually to
sources.list

I imagine something like a one-click install:
user clicks on apt URL, our protocol handler adds it to sources.list (or a
second resource that is merged with sources list) and runs apt-get install
packagename

And don't forget that apt can handle CDROMs as well.
The "installer" of the commercial applicatio would only need to use an apt URL
for the cdrom drive, allowing the vendor to have the application split into
several packages, for example internationalized documentation and translation
files.

Cheers,
Kevin

--